Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Branching Out With Burlap Art

In the last few months, I had a chance to create two different piece of custom burlap artwork which stretched my skills and creative vision.

The first piece was commissioned by my friend Deia for her sister-in-law who had recently graduated with a Doctorate in Audiology and would work with children's speech. The theme of the piece was "Listening to Whispers".


Jenny Bartoy: "Listening to Whispers" Burlap Art

Jenny Bartoy: "Listening to Whispers" Burlap Art

Jenny Bartoy: "Listening to Whispers" Burlap Art


The second piece was commissioned by my husband! He recently transitioned to a new job and wanted to give his awesome boss a thank you gift before leaving the team. This boss is none other than the lovely Alli who has purchased many of my pieces.

I wanted to do something a little different, that would represent "Gratitude". Nothing says "Thanks!" like a pretty bouquet of flowers, so I followed that theme and found the basic design for the pretty flowers on iStockPhoto. I embroidered the logo of the organization for which Alli and my husband work into the central leaf. I also found a piece of upcycled burlap with the date 2009 -- the year my husband started working with Alli -- so that is the backdrop for the piece.

(Pics taken at night, sorry!)


Jenny Bartoy: "Gratitude" Burlap Art

Jenny Bartoy: "Gratitude" Burlap Art

Jenny Bartoy: "Gratitude" Burlap Art


I am pleased with how these two pieces came out. It's definitely fun to try new techniques and styles! Let me know if you ever have an idea for a custom piece, I'd love to discuss it with you.

4 comments:

  1. both of these are beautiful Jenny! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I love the top one, but this is the first time that I've seen the flower one and it is so beautiful and colorful! I especially like the detail around the stem. Very nice!! -Deia

    ReplyDelete