Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Artwork for Ann

Hello there!

It's been quite some time since I've posted an update. I've been busy behind the scenes, working on custom orders and developing some new houseware designs -- pillow covers and more table runners among other things. I should hopefully have a shop update SOON. The weather has been so nice lately, it's hard to justify spending time at the sewing machine and computer when everyone is itching to go run around outside!

One of the latest custom orders I created was a piece of burlap art. Alli contacted me to make something commemorating the death of her friend Ann's sister a year ago. She wanted something symbolic but subtle.

Inspired by all the trees in bloom around me, I suggested a tree covered in pink blossoms with a bird flying off into the heavens. The blossoms evoke Spring and rebirth, the bird is angelic and free. Alli approved and I got to work!

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann


The piece is created with a background of upcycled coffee sack with some bold printing. The tree is a textured natural linen and I stitched felt dots and tiny leaves with French knots. The bird is made of plain white fabric and embroidered for dimension in the wings.

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann

Jenny: Artwork for Ann


I love how this piece turned out. It was quite emotional to make. I find it hard to divest myself from the subject matter -- whether it's happy like a celebratory anniversary piece, or sad like a commemorative piece such as this one. Alli said Ann really liked it, which was a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment