Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Cute Sheep for Valentina

Christine, the friend for whom I made the owl-themed Kindle cover and a great writer, asked me to create a piece of custom nursery art for her soon-to-be-born niece. The crib bedding had been purchased from Pottery Barn and featured cute little sheep. Christine wanted artwork that would tie in to the bedding design but stand on its own, ideally with muted colors.


Images from PotteryBarnKids.com

Here are the sketch and fabrics I sent her for review, which she approved.

Custom nursery artwork

But before I could make any headway on this artwork, little Valentina made her arrival!! 6 weeks early if I remember correctly, though I do believe everything was fine and healthy. Needless to say I suddenly felt the pressure to get a move on! Fortunately, Christine is a super flexible customer and told me to just relax and get it done when I could.

I just finished it last weekend and send it off on Monday. The postal service tells me it's been delivered, so I'll go ahead and show you the finished artwork. I love it and think it turned out super cute!

Custom Nursery Artwork

Custom Nursery Artwork

A few details: this artwork is made with various cotton fabrics appliqued onto a natural linen background. A little wool felt embellishes the sheep. Straight stitches frame the whole thing as well as decorate the tree and the sheep. The artwork is stretched onto a wooden frame and measures 10 x 10 inches.

Custom Nursery Artwork

Custom Nursery Artwork

Custom Nursery Artwork

I am available to create custom fabric art. The whole process is such fun! If you've got something in mind, just shoot me an email. I'd love to hear from you.

3 comments: