Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Back in College...

Well kids, don't knock that job you're working in high school or college to make a little extra money. The experience and skills may come in handy some day!

Back of artwork

For four years while in college and a little after, I worked as an assistant bookkeeper at Michaels Arts and Crafts in Austin, Texas. It was a fun job for the most part, but very part-time, in the office of the store. To pick up hours, the manager let me work in the framing department. There, I learned the ins and outs of professional framing. How to cut mats, how to build frames, how to clean the glass, how to protect the back of the artwork.

Back of artwork

These skills are proving to be quite useful as I finish my artwork for listing on Etsy. Each of my burlap and fabric art pieces is professionally finished on the back, with transfer tape, kraft paper and a wire for hanging.

Back of artwork

I need to print and stick labels on the back, and then these little beauties are good to go! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Professional look indeed! I am very impressed by your production, good luck!

    ReplyDelete